Hartford Health Office
Certified School Nurse
Janet LeBreton, Health Office Aide
The Goals of the Hartford Health Office are to:
- Promote a safe and healthy community in which Hartford students will be encouraged to become self-advocators for health and education
- Advance the well-being, academic success, and achievements of all students
- Facilitate positive student responses to normal development
- Encourage health and safety of students and staff
- Actively collaborate with other staff to build student and family self-advocacy
SAY BOO TO THE FLU
The flu vaccine will keep you healthy and ready to enjoy the tricks & treats of Halloween. The little word ‘flu’ may sound like a treat, but it is definitely a ‘trick.’
Get your vaccine, wash hands frequently, practice cough & sneeze etiquette, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, contact your healthcare provider within 48 hours if illness develops, and stay home when ill.
HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INFLUENZA AND A “COLD”
Learn the differences between influenza and the common cold. Call your healthcare provider right away if influenza is suspected in the family to see what treatment is needed.
People sometimes call gastroenteritis the “flu” or “stomach flu.” It is not the same as seasonal influenza, which is a respiratory infection. However children, more commonly than adults, may complain of stomach aches with seasonal influenza. More information about gastroenteritis can be found at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001298/.
The following chart highlights information from CDC and can help you compare symptoms of the common cold and seasonal influenza.
Influenza Symptoms Cold Symptoms
Onset Sudden Gradual
Fever High None to low grade
Fatigue Severe Mild
Cough Severe Mild to Moderate
Throat Sore May be sore
Headache Achy None
Appetite Decreased May be decreased
Muscles Achy No aches
Chills Yes None
Stuffy nose Sometimes Common
Complications Bronchitis/Pneumonia Earache/Sinus infection
Prevention Annual vaccine Good hygiene
Treatment Antiviral drugs in 24-48 hrs Symptomatic relief
- Conjunctivitis: What is Pink Eye?
- Important Information about Concussions
- NJ Parent Link for Health & Services
- What to do if your child is choking
- Information About Head Lice
- Choose My Plate
- MyPlate Kids' Place
- Sick kid on a school day, what's a parent to do!
- For Moms: a little help for the "Big Talk"
- Meningitis Information
- Student Fitness and Nutrition Resources
- Teen Suicide
- HPV Information